Prior to 1936, Dudbridge was in the parish of Rodborough which contained the Dudbridge Mill site, now known as Redlers Waterside. Dudbridge is first recorded in the Spillman Cartulary of 1235-45 as Duddebrigge which is a reference to “Duddebrigge Mill”.
The mill at Dudbridge is mentioned in 1608 as belonging to Henry Halliday and included three fulling mills, a corn mill, a gig mill and a dye house as well as a dwelling. It remained in the ownership of Henry Halliday until the late 17th Century when it passed into the possession of the Chance family. By 1811 the mill consisted of cloth mills with two water wheels driving three pairs of stocks for fulling cloth and a corn mill which appears to have been located on the south side of the River Frome.
By 1832 the site to the north of the River Frome was occupied by Apperlys (established 1794) who became one of the most successful manufacturers in the region winning awards for their cloth and a gold medal for the finest cloth in the world at an 1851 exhibition. Cloth continued to be manufactured at this site until 1932 when the mill closed as a result of financial difficulties.
An undated illustration showed two views of the mill occupying the north side of the River Frome consisting of a long range of buildings, three stories high, backed by a clock tower and chimneystack. It would appear that a large part of the mill was destroyed by fire in 1891 and the mill was substantially altered when it was rebuilt. It is presumed that it was at this time that the clock tower was added.
In 1934 Redlers Conveyors Ltd took over the site and continued to operate an office. The site to the south of the river (Chance’s Mill) was referred to as the “Cainscross Works” and this site specialised in small-scale materials handling. The site to the north of the river (Apperlys Mill) was also operated by Redler’s and referred to as the Dudbridge Works, specialising in heavy handling. It is reported in a newspaper in 1960 that a new office block was under construction at the site in early 1960.
Redlers remained on the site manufacturing until circa 2001 at which time the manufacturing element of the Redler equipment relocated and the factory and former mill premises were cleared. These buildings remained unoccupied for a number of years until 2007 at which time works commenced to convert the buildings into luxurious apartments for residential use.